Sarah's Yellowknife Adventures

This is the story of my adventures in Yellowknife, NWT. I'll try to present an unbiased tale of the exciting events that happen as I experience life in the Great Canadian North.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Happy Belated Birthday Dr. George Papanicolaou

May 13 was Cytotechnology Day!

For those of you who don't know, I'm looking at Pap Smear Coverage Rates in NWT this summer. Many people get squeemish at the thought or mention of a pap smear but really its no big deal, especially when you consider that it is able to catch changes in the cells before they become cervical cancer. Cervical cancer is caused by HPV which is a sexually transmitted infection that 1 in 5 people have... that is 20% for those of you who don't do math. Anyway, moral of the story is get a pap (if your a girl) and encourage girls you know to get them to.

Literally hundreds of thousands of women owe their health to George Papanicolaou, M.D., Ph.D. Through cytotechnology, women everywhere are given a vital tool in the diagnosis and treatment of cancer and pre-cancerous conditions through a standard practice known as the Pap smear test.
Read Dr. Papanicolaou's biography:
http://www.ascp.org/general/about/pioneers/papanicolaou.asp
Read ASCP's publications "Should I have a Pap Smear?" and "Understanding Your Pap Smear":
http://www.ascp.org/general/pub_resources/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home