Sarah's Yellowknife Adventures

This is the story of my adventures in Yellowknife, NWT. I'll try to present an unbiased tale of the exciting events that happen as I experience life in the Great Canadian North.

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Paddling with the Anderson's

So, as per usual I was out paddling on Saturday. Allison's parents were up visiting her and Heather so a group of us went out for the afternoon. Once again we paddled Great Slave Lake from Back Bay to the Yellowknife River Day Use Area (which is at the mouth of the Yellowknife River). The paddle took approximately 1.5 hours on the way out and 2 hours on the way back (there was a decent head wind on our return trip). The temperture was predicted to reach 17C, unfortunately it was more like 12C all day. However, with my wetsuit I was plenty warm while paddling. Plus, I stayed pretty dry throughout the trip. There were lots of birds to be seen, including a stunning bald eagle who sat pristinely atop a tree while we photographed it (I will have to post pics later because, Jen got the best one's with her camera). We also saw lots of terns, a family of ducks, a couple of loons and some boring old seagulls. To learn more about the local bird life check out Great Slave Lake: A Bird's Eye View.
Even with the wind, the trip is suitable for beginners.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home